Sunday, June 13, 2010

Corner flag (vol 2.5)

Carrying on from four years ago, listing down my take on what this world cup is likely to offer. I realise that setting targets of this sort is a game of 'analysis' vs 'hope' - and therefore each comment will be qualified as either one of them (A or H).

As I write, its Day 3 already, and have the hindsight of a few games - of which I must admit the England - USA result was reassuring and in line with expectations. Its a nil-nil draw at the Ghana Serbia game at the moment. 

1. Favourites to win the World Cup:  Brazil (H)
Not the usual flamboyant boys, but its the Dunga boys that will do the job. Dogged and quite solid. There is worry about Luis Fabiano scoring goals, but I reckon Kaka will be ready for this; having had a quiet season at Madrid, he is going to be key behind any success for Brazil. 

2. Footballer of the tournament: Kaka (H)
Tough one, considering all the talent that exists in the Spanish side. 

3. Teams among the elite lot that look good and that could win: Argentina (H) & Holland  (H)
Elite set being Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Germany, Italy, France, England, Portugal and Holland. Obviously Brazil & Spain are universally recognised as the favourites, which I kind of agree with. But its 2 of the others that I am going to have my eye on - Argentina and Holland.

Despite being led by Maradona, Argentina have a crew of top dog, experienced footballers. Will be interesting to watch their progress and a lot would depend on how much the players want to play for each other.

Which has historically been the problem with the Dutch as well, but I think they have an understated coach and team of former hot heads who have matured over the last couple of years. Questions about defence exists, but quality midfield and forward line.

Portugal - they have been awfully quiet all the way to the finals. To quote Jacques Kallis, do they have some reserve fuel in the radiator to surprise? I don't think so.

4. Teams that wont do well: Spain (H) & England (H)
Nothing much to say over here.

5. Teams from the non-Elite lot that will do well: Serbia (H)
Purely intuitive - ok this is how it goes: Croatia did well in 1998, the Czechs did well in Euro 2004, so one of the teams from that region is likely to do well some time soon. Intuition of the Times of India kind I suppose.

Serbia finds itself in a tough group and its the 66/1 odds that make it interesting. Though I have just learnt that the super, talented striker Stevan Jovetic of Fiorentina plays for Montenegro and not Serbia - which was one of the reasons behind my Serbia pick much before the tournament began.

That incidentally just shows the level of analysis thats gone behind this -  as any astute reader would have already picked up.

(Ghana just scored - so already getting fucked)

7. Source of likely fuck up for me : Not rating the African teams at all (A)

_______________________________________

Since the first round is well under way, I shall update my picks of teams that are likely to progress by Wednesday.

Though I am loyal to no particular team in such competitions, its going to be the Dutch that I'll be following closely this world cup. Heres to hoping that they win.



                                       

No comments: